Thursday, February 27, 2014

custom knife sheaths


I don't use much of a pattern when the knife group is all shapes.
I lay the knife on the leather and mark off around the knife then cut it out.
I then case the leather and push it in around the knife. At this time it takes a little shape and you can start marking trim lines . I like to leave a good 1/2" on the stitch line and I leave it that way till it is stitch then I trim it.  That will give a nice smooth welt with little sanding..
Make sure your belt loop is placed so it won't be in the way when you stitch up your welt.
It can be great fun making knife sheaths and I think it is my most enjoyable work in the saddle shop.  I have turned into a knife junky

4 comments:

  1. Where is your shop now, David? Last I knew you were in the music store. I think Kevin bought the store, did he not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes Kevin did take the store but there has been no change in the shop. I was planning to set up at the house but Kevin came in to the deal and made it very easy to stay. He is wanting to do the hard work to make the place come around so I'm hear for another round anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, Kevin is a good man. I wish you both success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievably bad experience. I received my sheath and it had an ugly black mark on the sheath. That's not all. The belt loop was sewn on crooked and the flap was incorrectly sized so there was no way to secure my Leatherman. I contacted the owner and sent him pictures. He wanted me to pay for the shipping back to him. He also stated that he was "numb to these kind of things" and that he was going to resell this defective sheath to another unsuspecting customer. What a racket. Stay away from this guy. I'm keeping the sheath and throwing it in a drawer. I don't want this guy profiting any more from me or screwing someone else. Now I'm out the money and back at square-one shopping for a sheath. The next one will be from a brick-and-mortar business so the owner can't hide behind his online store.

    ReplyDelete