Friday, January 17, 2014

braided mandolin strap



The rommel mandolin strap uses some of the same methods as making a rien and rommel .  Not a lot of worries about them breaking so all is making them stout and in fact it is easy to make them to heavy for a instrument strap. I have that happen where you finish and it makes a better tow strap. I have had to work at the instrument strap to keep them more fine and lite.
 To begin I first make the lace and then prep it get it all ready to braid then I cut the tail 12" and taper it from 1.25" to zero. The zero end I punch a # 5 hole 4" down in the center and skive it from the hole to zero. That is where the two lace ends feed in.
 Carve the tail to the customers wishes finish and dry. Then that's when the braiding can start. So we have two 8' thongs or strings if its rawhide and we taper the ends and feed the two in the hole half way .  Now we have four thongs to braid a four round. As you lay it out it will become very clear how to start braiding. This start and finish is covered with a long knot but the smoother it lies the better the long knot will look at the finish. The total length of the strap is 38" to 42" and when sell it is always a good sell point to say they are adjustable.  I end with a loop by back braiding a ways.  The loop end has a bit connector made for the same leather that I laced cut 5/8" wide and 14" long and I lace through its self to make a button. then add some button hole 8 to 10 " from the button make some Spanish ring knot for keeps and that is that in a nut shell.
  I do know that we didn't say any thing about how to braid or tieing any of the knots but there is lots on youtube or in books and besides I'm not sure I could explain it  I know it sure helps to have someone show you how.

No comments:

Post a Comment