Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The leatherman Sheath



I can't really remember a time not having a leatherman. I didn't care to have it on my belt when they first came out. It was handy to have but it wasn't used like my pocket knife. The blade just wasn't handy to use but the rest of the tools were great to have close at hand. Then the Wave came out and I don't know where I even got one but that was it for me. It filled all my needs and was made into the can't live without tool.  The sheath that it came with was very usable well made and nice to wear.  I lost the tool and had to buy one and I didn't waist any time. I still had the sheath from the old Wave but when I saw what sheath came with the new Wave I couldn't believe it.
  So there came the thought, who would want that on there belt.  So I made one that day and have been carrying on my belt going on ten years. I always had it in my mind that the after market cases would be a big hit. Maybe so but I wasn't making near as many as I thought.  But it did allow me to test designs and wear plus test markets on sizes and models.  While I was dragging my feet leatherman kept making new designs and model and there sheath got worse.
  Now after ten years I have most of the leatherman tools to form fit sheath to.  I still have the Wave on my belt in the same
10 year old sheath.  I make them almost every day and love doing it.  Folks are so kind and have given my so many hints to improve the line and even sent design drawing to custom make there sheaths and allowed me to add the line to my store.

9 comments:

  1. David, Do you form that on a jig or block? Belly leather? thanx I am enjoying your blog. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a jig that I use and I can make dozen in less that a hour. When I make them for some of the odd sizes I lay them out and wit cased leather form them around the tool while on a small board that will that a spring clamp . I use to use tacks but the spring clamps prove to be far quicker ans easy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes belly but nothing close to the arm pit area. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. Thanks Dave, I am enjoying your blog. I do some work but not near the quality you do. I like making things, (straps and stuff) from old Deseret Industries Belts or anything else I can re-use. When we get to weiser we will talk about the 3 Welcome Saddles I have from the early 1900. (all in BAD condition) made by Louannes grandfather J C Welcome in Burns Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen so neat instrument strap made form those DI belts. Can't wait to talk saddles that will be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unbelievably bad experience. I received my sheath and it had an ugly black mark on the sheath. That's not all. The belt loop was sewn on crooked and the flap was incorrectly sized so there was no way to secure my Leatherman. I contacted the owner and sent him pictures. He wanted me to pay for the shipping back to him. He also stated that he was "numb to these kind of things" and that he was going to resell this defective sheath to another unsuspecting customer. What a racket. Stay away from this guy. I'm keeping the sheath and throwing it in a drawer. I don't want this guy profiting any more from me or screwing someone else. Now I'm out the money and back at square-one shopping for a sheath. The next one will be from a brick-and-mortar business so the owner can't hide behind his online store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same terrible experience for me. Bought a sheath for my surge. I couldn't tell from the item listing how the belt loop looked and when I received the sheath, the loop was in an odd spot which made the sheath stick way out from my belt. I contacted David Nay the same day I received the sheath and he agreed to make a replacement. After a month of hearing nothing I contacted him again and he said he would make the replacement immediately and get it sent out. A month later, no sheath. He has also stopped responding to messages. Really professional! Don't buy from this business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David call me 347 658 8482 John grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. David call me 347 658 8482 John grace

    ReplyDelete