Monday, January 6, 2014

Sewing Machine

I do remember the shop before a sewing machine. It a came down to money when you think of a machine. You would think that a machine would free you up to make all kinds of projects. Yes but what is it going to run to keep a machine going to where you are making a profit, that is a good question to ask. It didn't take me long to see the customer didn't care to pay any extra because you hand sew even after explaining all the greatness in hand stitching . I always got the feeling that they thought more along the line that I was to cheap to own a sewing machine. So the search began.
   So I found a small flat bed machine( used) that I drove 5 hours one way to buy and I did buy it. It worked great but I soon learned that I would need a bigger machine to really help so I found one closer to home and it was great for a while.I found out once again that bigger and better is what I need so the search continued .Now 15 years latter I own 3 sewing machine two of them just take up valuable shop space but there nice when I need them. And the big machine and I hope they don't come out wit a bigger one or I might have to get that but I'm real happy with what I have now.
 Yes I still find that hand sewing is very necessary even if I can sew it on a machine. Like stirrups I like to sew them real close. I have tried many ways to sew on a machine but they all fell short so I just hand sew, it takes a little out of my profit to do so but I think that it is worth the extra money. I have seen a lot of the tricks that go into a factory made saddle to cut the hand sewing out and I'm not going to even try that.  The horn and the cantle binding is always hand sewn in my shop.
  There are some great companies   out there that handle leather stitchers   that weren't around when I was looking .  I will gladly point you to them another thing they are almost half the money now it doesn't figure

No comments:

Post a Comment