Tuesday, January 21, 2014

making a mold




This is a simple example of a mold to speed up production time.  This is sometimes a necessary thing in the shop when you start do larger numbers. I would never go to a mold if I was doing a onesy .  But dozens of the same size is a big time saver and helps add a look of consity .
   On the first pic you can see that there is room around the plug. If you add the thickness of the leather all around plus a little extra this will help avoid to much stress to the leather.  If you have cracks in the finish leather your plug needs to be shaved down or case your leather more.
  The piece of leather in the pic is a little over sized but I do us a bigger than need piece.  If you come out short you have wasted the time in cutting, molding and the leather.  I try to look over every piece I cut so there are no blemishes or scores for the same time saving reason. If it goes through the process and then gets culled or worse makes to a finished sheath and then to the trash. I look them over real good and still miss a few.
 

   This is the the mold I use now days work with the same tools and has close to the same end results but I would have to rebuild it ever.

1 comment: