Monday, January 13, 2014

Leather tooling and stamping

Honestly this is what makes leather crafts fun.  There was a time that all I wanted  wast to just build. The tooling was not necessary to make a project work and I could understand why it was it was done at all . Now it's more of a pain to do a plain outfit than tooled and I don't know why anybody would want it plain.
   Well I might be a little one sided on things or thick headed this I understand.  I come around if you give me a little time.  I  thought long and hard about why we like to tool leather and there seems to alot of pros and cons . Starting with the cons and there is not as many as there use to be mind you.
1)  It makes it harder to clean
2)  Increases the overall costs
3) Harder to layout and build
The pros to this are.
!
1) Easy to work in a range mark
2)Makes for skill stand out more
3)Gives more options for custom work
4)Bigger marketing window
5)Over all craftsmanship
   So if your in the mind set that you don't have to develop the art of tooling and stamping I can sure understand that thinking.  But I would spend a little time on the block learning the skill.  There is all kinds of aids out there to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment